Latest Software Updates:
Pro96Com Version 1.11.5 Changes and additions (Released April 23, 2016)
- Grant log will now include the Station ID even if the voice only
option has been enabled.
- Corrected some system flavor detection issues that occured under
- Corrected some decode issues with some packet types.
- Added work-around for some systems that are sending explicit voice
channel grants and updates with invalid input channel numbers.
- Changed text for the System Identification grant from CWID to
- Radio IDs will now be added to the radios file when an alert is sent.
Pro96Com Version 1.11.4 Changes and additions (Released April 24, 2014)
- Fix to the data loss bug that would clear the radio, talkgroup and
system data for a system under certain cases.
- Added site flavor indication to the System Activity screen.
- Added site flavor indication to the site information file.
- Added system flavor indication based on the last site decoded to the
- Fixed an issue where Pro96Com would not return to the quiet frequency
when holding on a talkgroup.
- Fixed error message that appeared at the end of an import from the
- Updated the Assumed/Confirmed column on the identifier table listing.
This makes it a clearer indication of the source of the table where
Assumed means there has been no identifier tables transmitted on the
control channel, and confirmed means that the information was
received from the control channel.
- Fixed an issue where the position of the screen was not being
restored properly when the save option is enabled.
- Added a button to enable/disable the packet dump process to the
packet dump screen.
Pro96Com Version 1.11.3 Not Publicly Released
Pro96Com Version 1.11.2 Changes and additions (Released April 15, 2013)
- Added support for both versions of Multi-Block OpCode 0x21 (Unit
Pro96Com Version 1.11.1 Changes and additions (Released January 27, 2013)
- Updated copyrights to include the year 2013
- Corrected the column headings on the affiliation log save process.
- Updated the tower information to handle RFSS and site ID values
greater than 99. Note that this change will cause the tower site
files to be renamed from TowerRRSS.TXT to TowerRRRSSS.TXT when saved.
The program will handle the conversion of the file names.
- Corrected an issue when calculating the input frequencies when
explicit input channels are used. This is most common on VHF
Pro96Com Version 1.10.7 Changes and additions (Released December 20, 2012)
- Fixed memory leaks in the decode process when enabling and disabling the decode process.
- Added support for some previously unknown Op codes.
- Fixed the channel grant decode when using extended packets for the data channel grant.
Pro96Com Version 1.10.6 Changes and additions (Released October 23, 2012)
- Corrected typo in the TDMA Sync Broadcast logging.
- Corrected an issue with decoding data from the PSR-800 with the
Phase 2 Beta firmware installed.
Pro96Com Version 1.10.5 Changes and additions (Released November 27, 2011)
- Corrected an option on the -d command where placing only the -d
command line switch will revert Pro96Com to using the program folder
as the data path similar to version prior to 1.10.x.
Example: Pro96Com -d
- Added -c command line parameter. This parameter will allow the
the selection of an alternate configuration file. By default,
Pro96Com will use the Pro96Com.ini file located in the data folder.
If a full path is provided, the program will use that location
Example: Pro96Com -c alt.ini
Will use the alt.ini file from the default data folder for it's
Example: Pro96Com -c c:\alt.ini
Will use the alt.ini file located in the C:\ folder
Pro96Com Version 1.10.4 Changes and additions (Released November 23, 2011)
- Disabled a debug option that would create the file ConfigDebug.log in
the program folder. This was used to debug the scanning of COM ports
in the configuration screen.
- Added full support for storing the input frequency information on
VHF systems. Previously the data would be shown correctly on the
screen and in the trace logs, but not be stored correctly in the
tower information files. This change will update the file version for
tower information files to version 7.
- Updated some of the ACK and Deny messages in the decode trace logs.
Pro96Com Version 1.10.3 Changes and additions (Released November 8, 2011)
- Corrected an issue with importing from the RadioReference.com web
service where imported sites would not be imported with the correct
RFSS (zone) value.
- Corrected an issue with the RadioReference.com import when selecting
the option to clear and reimport all tower sites where the existing
sites were not being cleared before the import.
Pro96Com Version 1.10.2 Changes and additions (Released October 28, 2011)
- Fixed issue with decoding the -d command line option.
Pro96Com Version 1.10.1 Changes and additions (Released October 27, 2011)
- Please note! The default location for your data files has changed
in this version!
By default, Pro96Com will now store it's system data files in the
"My Documents\Pro96Com" folder. This is due to Windows UAC
(User Account Control) issues on Windows Vista and Windows 7.
You will need to move all of your SystemXXX folders from the program
files directory to the folder mentioned above to keep using the old
Note that this can be overridden using the -d command line parameter
Pro96Com -d "C:\Program Files\Pro96Com"
In this case, Pro96Com will look for the files in the C:\Program
Files\Pro96Com folder instead of the My Documents folder.
This option also determines where Pro96Com looks for the
- Added decode support for the PSR-800 scanner.
Note: To effectively decode a system on the PSR-800, you must enter
the system with a talkgroup that will not become active, and have
a single site.
- Upgraded RadioReference.com web service to version 9.
- Various other minor bug fixes and adjustments.
- Fixed affiliation bug where affiliations would show as denied when
the affiliation type was set to global.
Pro96Com Version 1.9.7 Changes and additions (Released January 25, 2011)
- Added support for explicit unit to unit voice grant messages.
- Added support for explicit unit to unit voice grant update messages.
Pro96Com Version 1.9.6 Changes and additions (Released September 27, 2010)
- Fixed a TX offset calculation for UHF/VHF systems.
- Updated the BCD396XT scanner profile with feedback from a user.
Pro96Com Version 1.9.5 Changes and additions (Released August 29, 2010)
- Added support for the Harris P25 Patch messages.
- Fixed issue where if a TDMA X2 identifier table was received before
a standard identifier table, the standard table would be set with
a slot value of 2, which is incorrect.
Pro96Com Version 1.9.4 Changes and additions (Released June 25, 2010)
- Added support for Anritsu data file decoding. Currently only a
single file format is supported.
- Added support for Motorola OpCode 0x0A. I'm not positive what these
opcodes are used for yet, but they may possibly be related to
activation of the emergency button on the radio.
Pro96Com Version 1.9.3 Changes and additions (Released April 30, 2010)
- If you switch from one site to another on the same system (i.e. the
SID does not change), Pro96Com will no longer reload the talkgroup
and Radio ID data. The new site information will be loaded from
the computer's hard drive, but the Talkgroup and Radio ID data will
be preserved. Switching sites is much faster now.
- Added filtering for MA-COM/Harris packet type 0x33, which contains
nothing more than the control channel identifier table and channel
- Made modifications to the screen resizing processing to keep the
group boxes and read radio data button on the screen at all times.
- Set minimum screen size to 550 x 550, since the value of the
displayed data on anything smaller than that is extremely limited.
Pro96Com Version 1.9.2 Changes and additions (Released December 22, 2009)
- Corrected pointer with TDMA systems where it would point to all
channels with the same frequency instead of the specific channel with
the highest priority.
- Added Encryption Seen flag to the Talkgroups.txt file. This flag
will be set to "Y" if encryption has ever been seen on the talkgroup.
- Added hit counts to the talkgroups.txt file. The hit counts will
be incremented when the talkgroup is seen.
- Tower files updated to version 6. Now support storing the frequency
lists with the TDMA Slot numbers. Identifier tables also include
the number of slots in the table.
Pro96Com Version 1.9.1 Changes and additions (Released December 15, 2009)
- Updated RadioReference.com SOAP interface to version 7.
- Removed support from the ini file for changing the URL for the
RadioReference.com WSDL file for the SOAP interface. This
information is now hard coded into the program.
- Added support for the Motorola experimental TDMA systems that are
being tested in some area. While these systems cannot be monitored
currently, the control channel can be decoded. As a part of this
update, you will notice a /0 or /1 after the frequency on TDMA voice
grants. These values signify the slot number on the frequency being
used by that transmission.
- Added "S" column to the identifier table lists. The number in this
column signifies the number of time slots available in that table.
This value is used to calculate the frequency used in addition to
the base frequency and spacing.
Pro96Com Version 1.9.0 Changes and additions (Released April 20, 2009)
- Added support for the output from the Anritsu S412D monitor for
decoding the control channel data stream.
- Added support for the April 2009 edition of the RadioReference.com
CD-ROM. Backward compatibility with the October 2008 edition as
well. Pro96Com will detect the version of CD-ROM automatically.
Pro96Com Version 1.8.9 Changes and additions (Released April 4, 2009)
- Adjusted the position of the extended system information boxes on
the right side of the screen to give a little more room on some
lower resolution screens.
- Added support for the new RadioReference.com soap2 interface.
- Added support for version 2 of the RadioReference.com web service.
This update adds support for the new administrative zone field in
Pro96Com Version 1.8.8 Changes and additions (Released March 12, 2009)
- Added a rescan button on the Decode Configuration screen and on the
Scanner Control configuration screen. These buttons will rescan the
available serial ports and update the listings on the pull down
list next to the button.
- Added some INI file options (no settings in the GUI at this point)
to restore the old serial port methods from the current method. The
current method will scan all possible serial ports and then list only
those that are found during the scan. To restore the old method
where all ports are shown within a range, even if they do not exist
on the machine, you may add the following keys to the Pro96Com.ini
file in the [Communications] section:
The ShowAllPorts key will enable the listing of all ports in a range
from COM1 to the value in HighPort. If HighPort is omitted, COM64
will be the highest value shown. Valid settings for HighPort are
16 to 255.
- Fixed the timestamp when saving Unknown Packets to the log file.
- Fixed a timeout bug that was occuring on limited computers. The
allocated frequencies were not being properly released after the
- Repeater timeout period was adjusted to about 1.7 seconds after the
last update message is recieved from the control channel. This
timeout period may be changed by editing the Pro96Com.ini file and
adding the following key to the [Global] Section of the file:
Where the ## is the number of tenths of a second (i.e. a value of
17 is 1.7 seconds) to use for the time out period. The default value
Pro96Com Version 1.8.7 Changes and additions (Released March 2, 2009)
- Added support for OpCode 18 - Unit Status Update. This opcode is
used to indicate a unit's status. The actual meaning of the status
code is up to the system managers. (i.e. a status of 1 on one system
may mean the unit is available, where on another system it may mean
that the unit is busy). This message hasn't been seen on too many
systems at this point.
- Added option to save and reload hit counts between restarts. Hit
counts will always be saved to the tower information file. This
option controls whether these hit counts will be read back and set
when the tower information file is read and parsed.
Pro96Com Version 1.8.6 Changes and additions (Released February 13, 2009)
- Added a decode indicator to the screen in the lower right corner.
This indicator will give you a quick visual indication of how well
the control channel is being decoded. This indicator is only visible
when not using the Abbreviated System Informtion option.
- Added option to change the color of the decode indicator. This
setting is located on the Decode Configuration tab of the
- Possible fix to the voice scanner control logic not releasing the
frequency when a transmission ends.
- Changed the process used to determine when a talkgroup should be
released from a frequency. There's no message on the control
channel to indicate when a particular talkgroup is done using a
frequency, so in Pro96Com it's a simple timeout loop to determine
when to release the frequency. This timeout loop is what has been
- Added a hit counter for the frequencies on the activity screen.
These hit counts are reset to zero each time a decode is started.
Pro96Com Version 1.8.5 Changes and additions (Released January 25, 2009)
- Fixed a bug when using the Usage Code Descriptions button where the
button would not be re-enabled once the Usage code Description screen
- Fixed an issue with the RadioReference.com web service import where
the the same System ID was used on multiple systems, the import would
not work. The drawback to getting this to work correctly is that the
decoding of the system stops while requests to the web service are
- Only valid com ports are shown in the Decode and Control configuration
screens. If the cable is not plugged in when setting the ports, you
may need to plug in the cable, and then switch to another tab and back
to the tab you were working with to rescan ports.
Pro96Com Version 1.8.4 Changes and additions (Released November 27, 2008)
- Fixed the sort on the Last Affiliation column on the affiliation
- Added code to detect the premature termination of the screen update
thread, with the option to restart the thread if necessary.
- Fixed issues with the auto save of the various screen data, especially
the affiliation log data.
Pro96Com Version 1.8.3 Changes and additions (Released October 25, 2008)
- Pro96Com no longer hogs all of the CPU cycles when running. While it
played nicely with other processes that needed CPU time, it would use
as much CPU time it could get when running. This version uses
considerably less CPU time when running.
- When starting a decode, Pro96Com now properly detects when an error
occurs opening the communications port. If there is an error, you will
be notified and the decoding processes will be stopped.
Pro96Com Version 1.8.2 Changes and additions (Released October 6, 2008)
- Fixed the issue some people were seeing with the buttons off the bottom
of the various tabs.
- Fixed an issue with the backup in progress and the RadioReference
import status update information not linked to the size of the screen
as they should have been.
- Added support for the upcoming RadioReference.com database CD-ROM. This
option will allow you to import information about a system without a
connection to the Internet. Note that the speed of the data import is
dependent on your computer hardware and speed. On large statewide
systems, this import may take a very long time from the CD-ROM.
Pro96Com has no control over the time it takes to do this import.
Pro96Com Version 1.8.1 Changes and additions (Released October 3, 2008)
- Added support for the new Uniden "X" series scanner control channel
data output. This feature should be considered to be a beta feature
at this point since the radio has not been released yet, and I only
have the data provided by Paul Opitz to work with at this point.
- Changed the references to the PSR Dump screen to Raw Data Dump screen
since this screen also supports the data provided by the new Uniden
"X" series scanners.
- Separated the Affiliation Log and Affiliation listings onto separate
tabs. This gives more room for the information in each list.
- Added a Last Affiliation column to the Affiliation list screen. This
will show you when each radio last affiliated with the tower site.
- Added a talkgroup description column to the affiliation log screen.
Previously only the talkgroup number was shown in this list.
- Added the ability to filter the affiliation log based on ranges of
radio IDs. When the filtering is enabled, only the radio IDs that are
within the specified ranges will be logged to the affiliation log. All
other radio ID affiliation information will be discarded. (All
affiliated radios will still be shown in the affiliation listing).
Up to 40 ranges may be set.
Note that only the information that is in the affiliation log screen
will be saved to a file when the save button is clicked, or the auto
save is enabled.
- Custom colors created while in the configuration editor, editing a
talkgroup, or editing a radio ID are now saved when the OK button is
pressed on those screens. These custom colors are then re-loaded
on the next run of Pro96Com.
Pro96Com Version 1.7.5 Changes and additions (Released September 24, 2008)
- Fixed a display issue when a talkgroup was being held for the voice
scanner. With this fix, the held talkgroup is now displayed
Pro96Com Version 1.7.4 Changes and additions (Released September 22, 2008)
- Fixed another timestamp display issue in various screens related to the
auto save feature. This appears at this point to be a compiler bug, but
I've found a way to work around it.
Pro96Com Version 1.7.3 Changes and additions (Released September 20, 2008)
- Fixed the timestamp display issue in various screens (I Hope). Since
I couldn't reproduce this here, I'm hoping that the code changes I
made will correct this issue.
Pro96Com Version 1.7.2 Changes and additions (Released September 19, 2008)
- General code clean-up throughout the program.
- This version of Pro96Com no longer supports previous versions of the
pro96com.ini file. This file has undergone many revisions since the
release of version 1.0.0 of Pro96Com, and up until now has been as
backward compatible with each of those version's ini file formats.
The code that handles all of that backward compatibility has become
quite ugly, so starting with this version, only the current format
of the file is supported. This should only cause a problem if you are
upgrading from a very old version (I think the last real change to
that format was around the 1.4.1 range).
- Added support for Patched Multi-Block Group Voice Grants.
Pro96Com Version 1.7.1 Changes and additions (Released August 21, 2008)
- This version is primarily a conversion from an old version of my
development environment to the latest version. In the new environment
there are a number of new tools available that were not previously
included. This should open up some new doors for future enhancements.
- Added an option to the automated backup procedure to add the date to
the folder name when performing a backup. If a backup path is set
the backup copies of the system folders will be placed in a sub-folder
in the format YYYYMMDD. If no backup path is specified, the backup
information will be placed in a subfolder of the main system folder
- The Check for updates code is a conversion to a new HTTP library that
is included in the development environment. Please test this code,
especially if you connect using a Proxy server.
- The import from Radio Reference is all new code. Pro96Com is now using
the new Radio Reference Web service configuration. Please let me know
if it does not work properly for you.
- I think I've finally fixed the issue with the program starting up
monitoring the control channel on a controlled radio. Please let me
know if you still see this happening.
Pro96Com Version 1.7.0 Changes and additions (Released July 31, 2008)
- Removed the help text related to the Pro-96/2096 so that more room is
available on the right side of the screen for the system and site
names. It became apparent when doing RR imports that the space
provided previously for these fields was not sufficient.
- Added RadioReference.com web service import. You must configure the
service on the configuration screen before the service can be used.
The actual import option may be found under the System Menu. While the
import is in progress, "* Import in Progress *" will be displayed next
to the Data read button.
Note: One beta tester has reported that there may be issues with the RR
import on the Windows Vista operating system. I have been unable to
reproduce this issue in my testing. Please be sure to have a backup
of your data files before using this option for the first time.
- Added scheduled data backup option. If enabled, Pro96Com will check to
see when the last time a backup occured at startup, and once every hour
after that. If the number of days specified in the configuration screen
have elapsed, a backup of all System### folders will occur. The backup
may be scheduled anywhere from once a day, to once a year.
By default, backup data will be placed in a sub-folder of the System###
folder called "Backup". You may also specify an alternate location to
store this backup information in the configuration screen.
While a backup is in progress, the text "* Backup in Progress *" will
be displayed next to the data read button. This text is in the same
location as the Import in progress text, but will be hidden if a data
import is occuring.
Note: The check time (how often Pro96Com checks for a scheduled backup) is
also configurable, however there is no option present in the GUI.
By default it's set to every 60 minutes but can be changed by changing
the value of the "CheckTime" key under the [Backup] section of the
Pro96Com.ini file. The value of this key is in minutes.
Pro96Com Version 1.6.10 Changes and additions (Released June 24, 2008)
- Fixed an issue with the color priority selections in both the
activity screen and the Grant log screens. The Talkgroup and
Radio ID settings were being reversed.
- Added the manufacturer code to the control channel dump and
unknown packets screen. These will be shown whenever there is
an unknown packet, or when a non-standard packet is seen on the
Pro96Com Version 1.6.9 Changes and additions (Released June 17, 2008)
- Fixed a crash bug that showed up primarily when the Save Screen
Sizes option was turned on, and Pro96Com was maximized. There
was also a reference to memory that had not yet been allocated
in that same area that contributed to the crash.
- Made some memory configuration changes in the P25 class that
should help a little with the speed of processing P25 control
channel packets and help with memory management in that area.
Pro96Com Version 1.6.8 Changes and additions (Released June 13, 2008)
- Added high and low threshold settings to the program. These
allow you to control what you hear when controlling a second
scanner for audio. The scanner will only be tuned to a talkgroup
if the priority of that talkgroup is between the high and low
- Added additional CRC checking to the incomming packet data to
ensure that only valid data blocks are decoded.
- When holding on a talkgroup and using a second radio to decode
the voice transmissions, Pro96Com will now follow the conversation
even when the held talkgroup is patched to another talkgroup.
- Added check for updates option to the Help menu.
- The COM port pull-down boxes now go up to COM32 (Previously the
upper limit was COM16).
- Support for multi-block control channel messages
(aka Multi-Packets) is now included in Pro96Com. In order to decode
these messages, a PSR-500 or PSR-600 scanner with CPU firmware
version 1.4 or higher and DSP firmware Version 1.3 or higher is required.
The Pro-96 and Pro-2096 do not provide this data to the PC/IF port (and
will likely never provide this data), and will not support the
Pro96Com Version 1.6.7 Changes and additions
- First Version available on the PSREdit web site. See release
notes file for a history of the program.